Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Recession or Renaissance?


Remember back in elementary school how uncomfortable that kid made you feel? You know the one that prolonged the lesson in class by asking why or pointing out the exceptions? That was me. I had a great childhood that wavered on the sheltered side. Then life kicked the shit out of me real good. And more than just humble me, I was scared. I knew that I could do and be great, and I feared that too. I struggled with thoughts of these safe job paths while yearning to be in harmony with who I am. I took for granted my gifts of creativity, thought, and connection. Rather than embrace them and empower myself, I threw my gifts in a box underneath my bed and labeled them crazy. I put a mask on. I belittled the headstrong person I am and allowed myself to be small. I conformed and acted as a tool in someone else’s plans.

Recession. For many it seems like the easy streets to making money have turned into dead ends. Some people are truly struggling to put food on the table and can’t think much further than that right now, some people are working what they can until they figure out something better, and some people are taking what they can get because they believe they are defeated. Frustrated ones are looking for something deeper, because if they can’t make the money anyway, doesn’t it kind of make sense to finally listen to your joy? People feel down and out and some are getting tired of feeling down and out. And yet still, there are some people that are making it as if nothing happened.

Can you see rainbows on the horizon, or does it just look like rain? Personally, it feels like I’m observing this whole big mess. Being that I followed my own path a.k.a. did my thing (not so much the college thing) while making a slew of mistakes, the money situation is no better or worse in my mind than it’s ever been. Society’s been asleep for a long time and just maybe this recession is the cold wet blanket you needed. Everyone’s been getting by on autopilot. People are finally getting uncomfortable enough to start to realize that so much of their lives have been dictated. You are starting to wake up. As people are scrambling, I am fascinated by the possibilities. I think it’s pretty cool that so many people are uncomfortable at once that it’s jolting people to think. Call me a hippy but I feel like what so many people perceive as a distress is just as much an opening for a rebirth. This energy has the potential of a Renaissance. Love this time.

Our souls don’t grow being comfortable. We grow through challenge. Being open to these challenges allows us to become closer to our authentic self.

In what ways has this recession limited you?

In what ways has this recession liberated you?

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post, Kate. Money struggles have both limited and liberated, though I'm loathe to admit it's more of the former. I must heed your advice and explore... This is indeed a very philosophical time.

    ReplyDelete